Fashion Circus in figures
In the fashion world, it has been very hectic and chaotic for a long time. Fashion houses change their designers like their own pants and we have long lost the overview in this jungle. Therefore, we’re throwing you some numbers instead of fashion tips. Here are 12 curious facts from the fashion world.
- So far, 90 dogs had the honor to be depicted on the cover of the VOGUE fashion book.
- Seamstresses in Bangladesh earn a monthly minimum wage of 60 euros, oftentimes even less.
- British people love hats. This predilection dates back to 1572, when Queen Elizabeth I passed a decree saying that women who are older than seven must wear a hat on Sundays.
- And the award of the richest man in the world goes to Amancio Ortega, founder of the Spanish company Inditex (Bershka, Zara, Massimo Dutti etc.) with 70 billion euros.
- How much water does the production of a single T-shirt consume? 2,000 liters.
- Unisex fashion can be traced back to the 14th century. In Europe, the clothing style of women and men was already similar at that time.
- The crocodile of the Lacoste brand was the first ever designer logo, in 1933.
- Kendall Jenner is the record holder of Most Earning per Instagram Model, with 370,000 US dollars per posting.
- In 1860 some ladies had problems going through a normal door. Not because of their physique, but because of the clothes that were so wide at the time.
- Some stars are offered 100,000 USD at the New York Fashion Week, only to be present.
- Sometimes we want the fashion police to regulate things. In the 1970s, they actually existed. They controlled the skirt lengths of the women. If the skirts were too short, they threatened with a prison sentence.
- Organic cotton is free from genetic engineering. With around 120,000 tons, the share of organic fiber is 0.4 percent. The world’s largest customer is C&A.
Written by Izabela Lovric
Translated by Stephanie Ko